Friday, August 17, 2007

haha, we got some rain

Last time I went out to smoke it was raining. I actually stepped out the back door just as the first light drops were coming down.

Earlier in the night I'd thought for a moment that I heard thunder. It sounded like it, but thunder was too good to be true and sounded too far anyway.

And then I stepped outside, and stood stupidly for a few moments and the stood stupidly happy for a few moments. I probably looked up at the raindrops coming down.

Then I tucked the local alternative newsweekly under my shoulder, ducked my head and jogged to the garage. My head didn't get less wet for being ducked a little, but I still do it when I run between the house and the garage for a smoke in the rain. The rain was already starting to fall harder, and by the time I finished smoking, it was absolutely pounding down. There was more thunder in the distance, and the smell was summer rain, lightning and dirt. I didn't see lightning, but thunder and lightning go together like living and being alive. Actually, there is a fine line between living and being alive, but that's not the point.

Bonues rain points for coming in the middle of the night so it doesn't just steam the whole place up. Nothing like seeing the steam rising from the ground, almost wishing it hadn't rained in the first place if it was just going to be a bitch about it. It almost makes me want another cigarette sooner than I would just to go back outside.

No comments: